View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 04:33 AM

Default Re: PLO8 tournament - shortstacked hand selection

Mostly what Tx said, but you want two-way possibilities as much as possible. You really want to avoid getting it in with a 40 pt. hand or even worse AT98ss. A4 I'd want it single-suited, or with a pair/two paints. A3 I'd prefer some suit, a 4-5-6, pair and paints. You probably have to shove any A2xx, but be worried if there is a lot of action behind you, it's ok to muck this if your sidecards are horsesh*t and it seems clear someone has A2 or a dreaded AA2/3/4 behind you when raising.

The biggest mistake I see people do when short-stacked in PLO8 tournaments is reverting to Hold'em standards, a.k.a. thinking KKxx, QQxx, JJxx, TTxx are big hands and good for moving all-in with, especially with no low potential. The vast majority of hands you want to play in PLO8 have an Ace, and there's a reason for it. Give me A457 over KKJ4 anyday short-stacked all-in before the flop in PLO8.

If it's folded to you, I think moving in with JJ52 is ok if you're in late position or the people ahead of you are tight/passive. Even with QQ36, you still have a shot at both halves of the pot, but you wouldn't with TTK2.