View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Implied Odds: two scenarios

I'd like to discuss a couple of implied odds situations and maybe someone can add a few. These might seem obvious to some but if not, post your thoughts...

I find that when I flop top set, yet there is a flush or a straight possible (and completed by the opponent), that drawing to the boat, 99% of the time, gives you 0 implied odds, as in once that board pairs, even at the low limits they will give up the pot with nut flush/straight. I'll still draw at it with the right immediate pot odds, which is somewhat frequent at the low stakes tables.

On the flip side, if I flop even an 8 out straight draw, and especially a 13 or 17 outer, but there is also 2 of the same suit on the flop, cutting outs down, I still draw at it if the pot odds are close for that turn card, because if I hit while the flush doesnt, most of the time that flush draw will put in a pot size bet to see that river card, and I profit greatly off of that mistake. If the board however is paired on the flop, I dont go in for this draw, and if the flush connects on the river or board pairs, I give up as well.

Thoughts?

-Matt