View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Poll: How has the new level 5 affected your ROI?

Here is my theory as to why...

The better players steal their way to victory. Bad players don't. When you add in the extra level the bad players are hanging around longer because its easier to stay alive. Pushes are harder to come by for two main reasons.

More players to push through
Less Blinds to pick up

There are really only 2 sweet spots to steal from at level 5 and that is the SB and the button. These situations come up a lot less for me.... Maybe I have just been unlucky for 1k games.

I dunno, I often see things in a different way than others. If Proper SnG strategy banks on FE due to rising blinds than draging it out longer with a new lower level makes perfect sense to increase variance to me. Had they added a new 5-10 level it would have reduced variance, but 75-150 blinds are damaging most to the players that were tight level 1-4.

Edit:
[ QUOTE ]
I think a contributing factor to the increased variance with the extra level is that the fish are now playing closer to correct. With high blinds they miss sooo many push opportunities, but with the extra level, their incorrect tight-passiveness is less penalized. For example, someone with 8bb will habitually limp in with marginal hands and make it more difficult to push and steal blinds for a good player. This is just a thought, and I'm sure there are more factors that I'm not considering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly...