View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 06:00 AM

Default Re: Not much value in a value bet

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Note, if villain ended up with a pair above second pair, then he isn't a tag and you need to adjust your read.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I were villain I could have ended up with a pair of 7s (I assume you mean higher than 2nd pair from the flop) on the river, probably paying off a bet but not betting this river. And I consider myself a tag.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant a pair on the flop higher than 7 (Q, or an 88+ pocket pair.. e.g. something higher than what is now mid pair).. I just worded it strangely. Q should have raised the flop. Most Q's that beat us should have raised pre-flop. 88+ should have raised pre-flop, probably should have raised the flop, but waiting till a non-club turn to raise isn't the end of the world either. If he had something from that range, he isn't a tag.

So, if he is a tag, he's only going to call us on the river with a draw that paired his 7. There are far more other draws that missed than the oesd that paired the 7, so he most likely has nothing.

I check to let him bluff.

p.s. I think a case could be made for a tag villain not even calling the river with a 7. Wtf is hero betting with that a 7 would beat? Hero didn't raise pre-flop, so a big ace is unlikely. Hero claims to like the flop. One of the flop cards paired on the river, and another is an overcard to his 7 and the pot is only medium size. This would be an easier river call for villain if hero had raised pre-flop.