View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 02:28 AM

Default Re: I don\'t know what to do here : top pair, no kicker, OOP

[ QUOTE ]
The reason you dont like playing this hand OOP is becuase you can get moved off your hand much to easy having already invested money in the hand. As you can see villan put in less then a 1/3 pot bet on river and you had to fold your marginal hand becuase there was no way to check whehter your hand was good or not without commiting to many chips to the pot. It's much easier to play a hand like this in Pos where if forces the other opponent to put you on a hand and any aggression you notice will allow you to fold your hand with the minimum amount you could in this pot.

The main reason im check folding here is becuase as you can see he could be calling with air here but one river bet, even gives me 4:1 i must fold, and thats how easy it is to move you off your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, I like this discussion. Would your decision change, then, if I had a solid read on my player as being loose passive, so that he would only bet hands that beat mine on the river (and check behind with worse ones)? I did NOT have such a read on the villain in this hand, but I did have a read for some of the other limpers (who ended up folding before the river).

I definitely agree that being OOP makes his hand less valuable, and that I need to consider the possibility of being pushed off my hand some of the time when it is best. Are there table conditions where the players are passive enough that you would not worry about this? Online, this might not be possible, but I am playing in a live game and it's not out of the realm of possibility that all of the limpers in the hand were weak players who bluff not at all or at least very infrequently.