View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Re: take home exam situation

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is literally making me feel ill. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

At least it's given me something to think about if I ever teach undergraduates again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad, isn't it? After a couple years in grad school I decided I didn't have it in me to get the PhD, at least not now. I haven't ruled out going back. My undergrad was at Harvey Mudd, which has a real honor code. Exams are take-home, and people actually treat that with respect. It's almost as if they're interested in learning something.

Don't get me wrong. There are still people who go to TA office hours for "help" asking "so, what's the answer to #1? Ok, #2?"...etc. And it's easier for profs/tutors just to give out the answers. I have real respect for people who actually try to get their students to learn something. But it seems increasingly rare, since just giving out the answers will take care of office hours so quickly.

But really...if you don't have it in you to take a grad-school exam according to an honor code, you don't belong in grad school.