View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Walking the Picket Line

[ QUOTE ]

The law is a BAD LAW.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is irrational. The law also covers fire fighters. Do you think that fire fighters should be allowed to strike? By your reasoning, fire fighters have no power of negotiation if they can't strike. Fair is fair. If the TWU should be allowed to strike, so should fire fighters and police and air traffic controllers. By your reasoning, police are slaves because they can't strike.

This is a GOOD LAW. Just as the MTA has a monopoly on subway service, the TWU has a monopoly on subway labor. The law prohibits them from harming society by abusing that monopoly power.

[ QUOTE ]
Facing jailtime, bankruptcy, and unemployment the union is still striking. Don't you think that shows that they have SERIOUS CONCERNS.

[/ QUOTE ]

It shows that the union has SERIOUS GREED. (Typing random stuff in all caps proves nothing. I have replied in kind to make a point, and will restrain myself from now on.) The union is putting the economic well-being of the city and its citizens in danger in the short run, and the physical health and welfare of its people in danger in the long run. There are other solutions for labor disputes, including binding arbitration. I suspect that the TWU did not take that route because they know that their case is weak.

And regardless of the merits of the law, it is the law. The workers took jobs knowing the law. The leadship called a strike knowing the law. The workers are breaking the law and should be punished, at the least with serious fines. The leadership are criminals and should be jailed for public endangerment.

Think of the public reaction and legal ramifications if the fire fighters union went on strike and people died as a result. If this strike lasts long enough, people will die as a result. Why should the criminal TWU leadership be treated any differently than the leadership of the fire fighters would be?