View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Walking the Picket Line

[ QUOTE ]

Additionally, if they signed an agreement to not strike which they are now breaking, perhaps they should be held legally responsible in some fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

They didn't sign an agreement. It is illegal for public workers to strike in New York state. That is the state law. It has been the state law for a long time.

These people are public workers. They knew when they took the jobs that they could not strike. They are on strike, they are breaking the law, and they are criminals.

I believe that the only punishment for that crime at the moment is a fine. The workers are fined 2 days pay for every day that they strike. I think the short term solution is to get a court order requiring the union leadership to order an end to the strike. If the leadership doesn't comply, they can be held in contempt of court and jailed. I would think that the workers could also be held in contempt if they fail to obey.

There are other potentially more serious problems. Hospitals are already reporting shortages in blood supplies, because donors cannot get in to donate. Other health problems (assistance for invalids, meals for shut-ins, etc.) are sure to follow.