View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: 5000 Posts and Still Donking

Very interesting post, Shill.

First let me preface this by giving some of my personal slant in general. Many times when I'm OOP HU and I have what I think is the best hand, I need to choose how best to maximize value. One option is to check the river, trying to CR. The problem with this is I'm risking a lot to gain some. If it gets checked through, I'd be pretty upset. I'd much rather have the flop checked through than the river. So to counter this you can just bet the river. But this pretty much kills the action, giving you much less hope of getting 4 bets in on an expensive street. In order to get the best of both worlds, I tend to CR the turn instead. This usually kills the action, but normally the opponent feels stuck to the hand enough so that they will call the CR and call a river bet.

Hand 1: I CR the turn against this opponent. Given the way you played it, I think CRing the river is safer than usual. (Edit: by safer I mean more likely to not whiff. I think we have the best hand here much more than 50% of the time)

Hand 2: I'm much less certian that you have the best hand here against this opponent than in hand 1 against the much tougher opponent. In this case, I'll take the cc/cc/b line, and bet out on the river. I don't want to put 2 bets in on any postflop street. But your hand is good enough that you must call a raise on the river. He could "just" have aces.