View Single Post
Old 08-11-2004, 07:50 PM

Default A couple of hands for review...

So I'm new to SNG's and have been playing in relative comfort on the free $10 at the Prima $0.75+0.25 Turbo games.

...allow a moment for the chuckles to subside.

Anyway, I don't think they have a hand history option, so this is by memory. First hand of the tournament, I'm one seat off the button.

Two MP's limp in
I limp with Ah Ts
SB calls
BB checks
Flop: Ad Th 8h
BB opens 100
2 MP fold
I push allin
SB folds
BB calls with AQ
Turn/river: rags

I'm obviously happy with this, and I think my push was a good move, but is limping this preflop a -EV move? I've seen various lists of hand requirements early in a SNG, and ATo doesn't tend to be on it. These games tend to be very loose-passive, and I've got good position, so it seems like limping hand with only two callers before me, if there were more, I'd raise and fold to a reraise. What do you think?

Second hand:

Seven people left, Blinds are in the 40-80 range. Thanks in part to my first hand, I've got about 2,700, next biggest stack is 1,700 and the rest are about 900-1100.

I'm in SB
Folded around to me.
I limp with 7c 3c, figuring I'm against a random hand at the BB (who has 900), I will fold to a raise, and tell myself I'll get out at any sign of trouble.

Flop is 5c 2h 4c
I check
BB checks
Turn 4s
I check
BB goes allin for 900
I figure this isn't a desparation push with 7 people left, and his stack is about even with the bottom 4 others. I'm getting just under 2:1 from the pot with open-ended 4-flush draw. I know the odds aren't there directly, but where does popular opinion stand here. My reasoning is that I've got about as good a draw as I can have to knock it down to 6 and take a huge chip lead into the bubble. At worst, I call and I'm about even with the other top two, and can grind it out from there.

I called and missed, BB shows 56

I ended up HU against this guy with about equal stacks and took 2nd place due to a few cold cards in the Turbo blinds.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks.