View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Sklansky has it backwards

DS-
"Yikes! That argument would mean that mediocre academics were more likely to disbelieve than world class minds who never have to worry about being considered unintelligent. Similar to how moderately famous or successful people dress nicer than those who don't have to prove themselves. But that is not the case when it comes to believing in a specific religion. The very smartest people, who have no need to protect their reputation are the least likely to believe."

Can you tell me what studies/surveys compare the liklihood of a scientist believing in God to his IQ score? I'd like to see that as the only survey I've seen was just a general poll of the scientific community.

DS-
"In any other subject but religion when the smartest people in the country strongly believe something, people grant that their smartness greatly increases the probability that it is true. Yet somehow this doesn't apply to specific religious beliefs or even to the belief that the evidence points against any specific religion?"

This is true for scientific matters when the scientists have physical proof. Still, the scientists release their findings for evaluation by other smart minds. Somehow, religion is different. You mentioned recently that physicists have counter-arguments to my thoughts on the creation of the universe, but you didn't know what they were. You said that you just trusted the scientists. Have you ever evaluated these counter-arguments for yourself?

Concerning "a culture such as a university environment where religious belief is widely considered to represent an intellectual flaw or even a psychological defect":

DS-
"But if this is true it suggests that the smarter people think these things about religious beliefs."

Which is exactly why they aren't being objective about the issue.