View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Job That Couples Well w/ Online Poker On The Side?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Intersting discussion... So how does one go about becoming a teacher? I'm in my mid 30's and currently work as a IT professional. Is mid 30's too late to consider this?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's never too late. Plenty of people quit their careers to become teachers. I know a man that did it when he was in his late 40s.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how does one go about making this switch? I assume it involves going back to school and getting some kind of a license. How long does this process take?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the state. In NJ, for example, it is incredibly easy. I majored in engineering and was able to become employed as a math teacher without too much trouble. All I had to do was file for a "certificate of eligibility", which gave me the right to seek employment as a teacher. In order to get that you need to have 30 credits in your subject area you wish to teach. Then, I had to take a math subject area test (Praxis II), which anyone with an engineering degree could pass going in cold. After being hired, I had to attend a pointless class one night a week for the first year. After a full year of teaching, I was certified.