View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Is Playing Poker Professionally Ethical?

I look at it like this - the poker craze is happening, none of us can stop that. It is going to run its course, and there will be the financial winners and losers. If you enjoy the challenge and benefits of being a serious player, why not take a piece of the pie? Someone is going to. It is either going to be you, or someone less skilled/devoted than you (because you have hypothetically chosen not to play for ethical reasons, despite your ability to beat the game).

Personally, I am from a family with no money. My parents could not offer me any financial assistance in my life. I also had a troubled childhood and when I went to college after High School, I was unprepared to deal with it and obtain a degree and 'regular' career. I am, however, very adept at gaming of all sorts and have proven profitable at poker. I am using my winnings to allow myself the chance to escape the lower-class lifestyle, and also to help the other troubled members of my family. You might not see poker as productive at all, but for me, it is taking disposable income from college kids with too much money as well as consenting adults, and channeling it into something I see as very productive and natural (caring for oneself and family).