View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Evacuees being turned away from Houston\'s Astrodome

[ QUOTE ]

I am pissed that people are dieing as I type this. I am pissed that American citizens have gone 72 hours without food and water. What are you missing people. American citizens have gone without food and water for 3 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I may add, I'm also pissed that these same Americans are wallowing around in horribly toxified water and in several days or a week many will wish they had died of dehydration. Small lacerations will lead to gangrene, cholera will be rampant, mosquitos will breed bearing countless diseases only known to 3rd world countries in our lifetime.

By the way, none of this is a surprise. I posted a link to this article on Sunday night when someone wondered if the concern was all hype. Again, I don't know when this article was written, but it doesn't matter as this scenario has been contemplated for some time. Here's a little excerpt:

[ QUOTE ]
"Filling the bowl" is the worst potential scenario for a natural disaster in the United States, emergency officials say. The Red Cross' projected death toll dwarfs estimates of 14,000 dead from a major earthquake along the New Madrid, Mo., fault, and 4,500 dead from a similar catastrophic earthquake hitting San Francisco, the next two deadliest disasters on the agency's list.

The projected death and destruction eclipse almost any other natural disaster that people paid to think about catastrophes can dream up. And the risks are significant, especially over the long term. In a given year, for example, the corps says the risk of the lakefront levees being topped is less than 1 in 300. But over the life of a 30-year mortgage, statistically that risk approaches 9 percent.

In the past year, Federal Emergency Management Agency officials have begun working with state and local agencies to devise plans on what to do if a Category 5 hurricane strikes New Orleans.

Shortly after he took office, FEMA Director Joe Allbaugh ordered aides to examine the nation's potential major catastrophes, including the New Orleans scenario.

"Catastrophic disasters are best defined in that they totally outstrip local and state resources, which is why the federal government needs to play a role," Allbaugh said. "There are a half-dozen or so contingencies around the nation that cause me great concern, and one of them is right there in your back yard."

[/ QUOTE ]

And despite countless articles and NOVA and PBS specials about this particular disaster scenario over the years, Our dear leader went on the Today Show this morning and said "I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees." [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

edited to fix the movie link.