Thread: Confidence
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Confidence

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think confidence matters less in poker than it does in most endeavors. It only comes into play when people are playing above their bankroll and pushing small edges, playing very high stakes games even if they are bankrolled, or make a play that is normally very stupid but correct if they read the opponent accurately.

In fact I think the worst thing for 99.999% of people here would be having confidence in their poker ability.

I guess I'd disagree here as I think confidence is very helpful and even a key tool to winning. Not being confident in your reads or amount of skill leads to weak/passive play and generally speaking, aggression is a great tool in poker. When I have a couple losing days and get back to work not feeling sure that I can beat it, I find myself missing bets and folding at bad times. But most importantly, I think confidence breeds enthusiasm which leads to paying more attention and putting your full effort into each hand.

What does confidence have to do with being weak tight? Most of the moves I make I have a clear understanding they make money, not doing them is in the same league as not picking up a $20 bill. The only time confidence effects my game is when I have a lukewarm read and I'm not sure it's worth altering my normal play in that situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how you can reasonably make the statement that confidence is not a major assett to a winning player.

A - people around the table p/u on it and fold in marginal situations when they might otherwise call

B - take three bad beats within 5 hands for all you're chips and see how confidently you play.

C - When one is confident about his reads, he tends to be much more assertive and agressive. Last time I heard, that whole "agression" thing is pretty important as well.