View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Crime or not, did \"the leaker\" actually \"leak\" anything?

ptmusic -
You quote pvn as -
[ QUOTE ]
Novak told Rove that Plame was Wilson's wife, then Rove told Novak that Plame got the job for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said was -
[ QUOTE ]
Ignore the fact that Rove now says that Novak told Rove that Plame was Wilson's wife, then Rove told Novak that Plame got the job for him. When this first blew up, all we had was Novak's article.

[/ QUOTE ]

It might have been more honest to quote -
[ QUOTE ]
... Novak told Rove that Plame was Wilson's wife, then Rove told Novak that Plame got the job for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

pvn-

I don't think Rove told Novak that Plame got the job for him -- I think that he said his wife got the job for him. 0f course, Novak had just confirmed that he knew who Wilsons wife was and what she did.

It was a situation where Novak had already tipped his hand as to what he knew. Aside from that, Rove didn't tell him anything. If Plame had been working as an undercover operative, I doubt Novak could have discovered that simply by knowing "his wife got him the job". First Novak would have had to find out who his wife was, then find out what she did and how she could have gotten him the job. If Novak could do that based on such a simple statement -- either she wasn't undercover or we've got some security issues. Novak has admitted, he knew it in advance. So Rove, in an indirect way, confirmed it. If he hadn't, I presume we would now be hearing stories about the Rove coverup of what reporters already knew was true.

It's an interesting game that I wouldn't want to play.