Thread: Strategy Advice
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Strategy Advice

I was reading cardplayer a week ago and read this:

First of all, I just want to say that I am a big fan!! I have read several books from the top players in the world and have found different views on early tournament play. In the first few levels of a big tournament with the blinds lower, do u recommend playing fewer more powerful hands? or playing more decent hands while the blinds are lower. Are the early levels where u try to build up your stack or do u just play big hands and get more aggressive during later rounds?? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!! Have a good1 and keep up the awesome poker!!

– Brandon

Well, I must tell you that the early stages of tourneys can be played a few different ways and may all be correct. On the safe side, you can never go too terribly wrong if you play tight and wait for big hands, only to loosen up and play more aggressively later on. On the other hand, what I often do is play a variety of good multiway action hands such as small pairs and small suited connecters early on with the intention of risking a small percentage of my stack each hand to try and build a larger stack. I like to risk say 25 percent of my initial stack trying to “get lucky” and once that is gone, I tighten back up if I haven’t hit anything. I suggest trying a few of these options and work out which one “feels” better for you. (Scott Fischman)

So, I'm not the only one who thinks like this.