View Single Post
Old 07-11-2003, 04:39 PM

Default On getting action

Another poster here (I won't mention his name, but his username intials are J.A.Sucker) and I were discussing the following:

When I raise pre-flop w/ AK and AQ and totally miss the flop, I'm much more prone to check than he is. He has a more aggressive style in certain other areas as well. Because of this, I'm able to bluff a few more pots than he is. But when he hits, he gets a little more action than I do (even though he probably plays a little tighter than I do).

So who comes out ahead? Well, in the end, we don't think it really matters. If you're super-tight and not overly aggressive, you'll get less action, but you can bluff a few extra times to make up for that. If you're a little looser or a little more aggressive, you'll get called down and lose to marginal hands more, but you can make up for that with some extra 3 and 4-bets along the way.

In the end, as long as you're making relatively reasonable decisions pre-flop and playing well post-flop, I suspect the exact details on both fronts probably don't really matter as much as we sometimes think they do.