View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Help a newbie get started...

I've been playing mid stakes limit hold em for a couple months now at Paradise. I started out thinking I was a pretty good player but then soon realized I wasn't. I've taken a break now, read a lot of good stuff in these forums and read SSHE twice cover to cover. I want to get back in the game and build up a badly depleted bankroll.

I have gathered quite obviously that one of the most important things I need to do is to build up a database so that I will know the tendencies of my opponents. So often the correct decision depends heavily on the tendencies of the opponents, not to mention the crucial importance of table selection and seat selection. I see that posters routinely put this info into their posts(e.g. 28/13/1.56) meaning, I assume (VP$IP/PFR/Tot-A). Clearly, knowing this type of information about as many of your opponents as possible is crucial to your long term success, which brings me to the point of my post.

What advice can you give me about getting my own database started? It seems that at Paradise, the only data I can get is from hands that I have actually played myself. Obviously, I would like to gather the data about my opponents and build up my database before losing too much money to the sharks. Table selection is so important... I have downloaded PokerTracker, and I'm now trying to figure out the best way forward.

Any help in getting me started on a solid path is GREATLY appreciated.