View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: General Philosophy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Over 20k hands, your WR doesn't mean much.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is complete BS.

There are 3 factors: winrate, # of hands played, and standard deviation. We know two of the factors already, and even using a grossly inflated standard deviation of 55BB/100, he is still a winning player out to 99.99999% confidence. Using a more normal, but still inflated standard deviation of 21BB/100 we can say with 99.9% confidence that he's earning at least 1.5BB/100.

This is basic stuff you can find in the FAQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I am open to the idea that you are correct, but I have often seen people saying WR doesn't start to converge until like 100k hands. Maybe you could go over a little bit of the math for me, or just quote where you saw it in the FAQ (I looked but did not find it). FWIW, I recall a post where one of the more veteran posters (Josh. perhaps) ran 10 100k hand samples for players with 2BB/100, and got results as low as 1BB/100 and as high as 3BB/100 over that sample. I do have a very limited knowledge of stats and am familiar with terminology, but am not exactly sure how you came to these conclusions. Please help. Thanks.

Brad