View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Universal suffrage a good thing?

[ QUOTE ]
Excellent topic ^_^

I assume we're ignoring issues related to the constitution, and implementing a new voting structure, ab initio, in a theoretical vacuum.

I feel that different people should have different voting weights, depending on how knowledgable they are regarding the issues relative to the vote. A high school dropout who's done nothing with his life or education should not have the same voting power as someone with a PhD in political science and economics. Perhaps the doctor's vote should count as ten votes, or something like that. How exactly this voting weight should be determined, I don't know. It would take years of expert research.

What's your opinion, vultures?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what vultures' opinion is, but I think yours and other peoples' idea of limiting the voting rights of "uneducated" and "less qualified" people smacks of gross elitism and stems from the mistaken idea that poor and uneducated people are incapable of determining what their own interests are and that therefore smarter, more educated individuals ought to make certain choices for them.