View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: What is liberalism?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think in order to know what liberals, as the word is used now, actually are, then you should know the history of liberalism and how it evolved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Contemporary liberalism is less related to "classical" liberalism than is contemporary conservatism.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is right; I think I said that in my reply. In the economic sense, the Republicans are more classically liberal, and the Democrats are modern liberals. It is switched when it comes to the social spectrum. What I said was that contemporary liberalism, in the United States, is an evolution of the classical liberalism model that came from Locke and Smith .

In fact, it may have been good to show this example in the Conservatism post that was put up a week ago, so my point would have been clearer. I said that Conservatives are set in the past (regressive), and Liberals believe in change (progressive), and this may be a good example of that. The Republicans are into OLD style liberalism, hence, they can be considered less progressive than Democrats on certain issues since Democrats are more into Modern Liberalism.