View Single Post
Old 07-28-2003, 02:38 PM

Default Re: AA and betting questions

Hey,

I play in the same games you do (I have played with you as well). Here's my philosophy concerning AA. Raising to $4 is too small. You are not going to chase anyone out with that raise. I have seen people raise to $4 with ATo. In the $25NL game, the smallest raise I make with AA is $6. The last time I had AA I raised to $8 and got 2 callers. As it turn out, the flop was ragged and I went all in. One called with AJo. What were his chances of winning?

In any event, I raise big with AA and if someone wants to play as a big dog, then let them. Once in a while I will raise a small amount and then try to trap people if the flop hits me. But this in a very rare play for me, and you have to be able to throw AA away when the situation dictates.

As far as your other hand goes, you got him all in when you had top two pair and he had essentially nothing. Who could fault that play? You will win that play virtually everytime.

In the $25NL Party game, it is sometimes very hard to put someone on a hand. I have learned the hard way plenty of times. My biggest mistake by far is overbetting 2 pair (even top 2). At that limit, people love to limp in with middle pairs and when they flop a set and you 2 pair, you can be in for some trouble. Has happened to me at least 3 times.

I just started playing NL, so take my words with a grain of salt. But since I play in the same games, I wanted to share my observations.