View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: I hate blocking bets

[ QUOTE ]

I guess there are two cases where it's clear :

1. he likely has a weaker hand that will call a bet but not bet if you check - blocking bet is good here

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not a blocker bet, that's a regular value bet

[ QUOTE ]
2. he either has hit the draw or he has junk which will either fold to your bet or often bluff if you check - check/call is better here

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really get how you tighten someone's range to "hit their draw or air".

Generally you make blocking bets when some obvious draw hits because your opponent can't raise you unless he has the flush/straight and there's a good chance you have the best hand so you don't want to be bluffed out of the hand.

If you check call your opponent determines the ammount, if you make a blocker you decide the ammount, that's all there is to it.

[ QUOTE ]
But if he's tricky and will raise big with a weaker hand even when you blocking bet, that's nasty. The big problem is people who recognize a block and will raise it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is ssnl, 90% of the players don't make blocker bets let alone recognize the 10% of players capable of doing them and then recognizing a blocker bet and raise it with air.

There's no need to second guess yourself here, if villain raises your blocker bet it's not because he knows what you're doing and countering it.