View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Job That Couples Well w/ Online Poker On The Side?

[ QUOTE ]

So how does one go about making this switch? I assume it involves going back to school and getting some kind of a license. How long does this process take?

[/ QUOTE ]

It largely depends on what state you want to teach in and the age level. For example, CT is pretty strict. If you want to teach there then you will need to get certified (multiple ways to go about doing this and depends how many education credits you have and if they are transferable). You also need a masters degree to continue teaching after 5 years. This means that I basically need to go back to school and enroll in a certification/masters program that takes 1.5-2 years, since I don't feel like taking classes while teaching.

Now, other states differ. A lot depends on how badly they need you. Some states will hire anyone. Also, if want to teach highschool you generally have to have majored in that subject or taken a lot of credits in it. For example, I minored in math so if I want to get certified to teach high school math in CT I will probably need to pick up some more math credits to do so...which is insanity because I fail to see how taking complex analysis will help me teach geometry/algebra/calculus.

If you want to teach elementary school then I believe you basically need to have majored in education or taken a ton of education courses to teach in most states. I am not sure how middle school works.

I know some states have methods for certification that are available to people who are switching careers. It makes it a lot easier. The man I know had a masters in Chemistry and was retiring early from his company. Since he had a masters already the switch did not take that long.