View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: A Rebuy ? for Math Majors

This is probably heresy on these boards, but I think logically you maximize your ROI (assuming you are a winning player) by never rebuying when you go broke during a rebuy.

Let's say you've been playing for 15 minutes, push your 3000 chips with your AK, then lose it all. Now let's say you have only $31 left in your account. Are you better off spending $20 to rebuy now (with an extra $10 for the add-on), or are you better off waiting until tomorrow? Clearly, you are better off waiting until tomorrow, since you will have 60 minutes to build your stack tomorrow, as opposed to only 45 minutes today.

My point is that I often hear that you should not play these events unless you can rebuy, which I think is wrong. If you are short on funds and want to play and time is not a factor, then allocating $31 per tournament (original buy-in, rebuy at start, add-on at end of hour) seems to me to be a fine strategy (assuming you don't play more conservatively during the rebuy period because you are afraid of busting out).

However, if you are trying to maximize your amount of winnings per day (as opposed to maximizing your ROI), then of course you will want to rebuy when you go broke.