Thread: World Cup Fever
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: World Cup Fever

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well if Croatia, 3rd in WC1998 who defeated Holland 2-1 is a minnow then good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, you're focused on 1998. You do realize that another World Cup happened between then and now, right? I know it was on TV at odd hours, but trust me, it happened. And in it, Croatia - despite a victory over Italy -- didn't make it to the second stage, losing to Mexico and Ecuador in group play. They also didn't advance past the Group Stage in Euro 2004.

They had an excellent qualifying run, finishing atop UEFA Group 8 by going unbeaten, with wins over Sweden home and away, but it's just silly to keep judging teams, as you've been doing, by their performance in 1998. This is a far different side than the one that Suker and Prosinecki led to the semi-finals in France.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm focused on 1998 because that WC was held in Europe...
Next year's World Cup is going to be held not far from where that oneas held.
The geographic location is going to help all European Teams - especially teams like Croatia, Serbia&M, Ukraine and maybe even Switzerland.

I mean they did take out Turkey on aggregrate in a playoff to qualify, a team which was 3rd in WC2002.