View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 11:14 PM

Default First Post: Hand from Stars 500K

Hi all. This is my first post here. I've been studying the Dan Harrington books and I think that they've really improved my game.

During yesterday's Stars 500K tournament, this hand came up:
Average stack is around T7500. About 1/3 of the field remaining.

Relevant stacks:
UTG+1: T11300
Hero (Cutoff-1): T23600
Villian (Button): T14300

No read on villian. UTG+1 has been very loose and aggressive, opening a lot of pots for a raise.

Big Blind=T600; Ante=T50 (9 handed)

UTG+1 opens for T1800. Like I said, he's been raising a lot of pots. I re-raise to T6200 with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (of course, usually I will fold in this spot). Villian on the button then moves all in for T14300. UTG+1 folds, and the action is on me.

The pot size is T23650. It's T8100 to call. I folded.

On further consideration, I think that I should have called. I was getting 2.92:1 pot odds. If I think that his range of hands is AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, then I am a 2:1 underdog.

If I think that he will move all in with AK only half the time, and also with AA, KK, QQ, then I am a 2.31:1 underdog.

I feel that these are appropriate hand ranges, perhaps even a little conservative (especially since Villian could have been executing a squeeze play with a weak hand, putting UTG+1 in what Harrington calls a sandwich).

My conclusion is that I should have called. Thoughts?

LionelHutz