View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Fold AAxxss preflop fold vs. other \"big\" hands??

Lovely !
A clash between two of the ‘name’ players – Dave D and Rolf S.
Now I know neither of these two gentlemen personally but I have read quite a bit on both their sites, and the exchange above is very much in keeping with the general way in which they conduct themselves.
On one side you have Dave D, an intelligent and successful PLO player who provides great discussions on his blog, and who is very honest about his results. Not afraid to admit when he is incorrect about something. Quite courteous in his comments.
Needless to say, I’m a big fan.

Then we have Rolf Slotboom. All I really know about his results is what he tells us i.e. 2004 was a record year, even better than 2003 which was even better than 2002, etc. September was a great month, even better than August which was also great, etc. etc. - you get the picture. Slotboom has been carefully planting an image as a consistent winner over the past few years. I’m amazed he even has time to play given that he has so many other projects going on. If I was a cynical person, I’d think that all this image building is just to give him some credibility when he decides to write a book (just checked his website – he is writing a book, you could knock me down with a feather !). Anyway, where I come from it’s always better to let somebody else blow your trumpet. I’ve no doubt that Slotboom is a good Omaha player, and his Omaha advice is generally very good. But his constant self-promotion is a bit irritating, AND his snide, insulting remarks in some of the above posts were way over the top.