View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Live 40/80 flop middle pair with a backdoor flush

I think calling is better than raising the flop, with the intention of raising a lot of turn cards, and folding to a few others. If an offsuit 8-J falls and he still bets, then i think a fold is the best option, any Q or better a raise could be a good play, prompting him to muck a few bad suited T's (T4, T5, other such weak BB defense hands) occasionally and pocketpairs below the T. If he does have any sort of respectable ten then he will most likely just call, and then you just pray for your seven or ace, or hope that the backdoor draw comes through.

3-betting the flop with weakness such as this too often will lead you you getting 4-bet and them leading the turn. That is sort of a disaster for this hand unless you catch a very good card, and then the pot is probably to big for them to fold. Just calling will also allow him to bet out the turn with a wide variety of weaker hands that he was c/r'ing with such as worse seven or 89, then the raise on the turn becomes a good play. Especially if you often play this line with very good hands, I think you can pick this pot up on the turn unimproved a big percentage.