View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 04:40 AM

Default Re: How did I do on this one?

steamboatin - Tough break. You have a nice starting hand and a nice fit with the flop, and then end up with a loser.

I agree with Cooker and Sy that you should not raise the turn. I actually like a raise immediately after the flop better than a raise after the turn. You shouldn't actually like the turn much and you're simply not likely to knock out a better hand with your raise.

There are a lot of little things that are wrong here. Any of them, taken alone, does not amount to much, but taken together, tip the scales in the direction of not raising on the turn.

• You're in a sort of an awkward position.
• Since low is not already on the board, people who know how to play the game realize if the board pairs, low will not be possible and thus with two pairs, if they make a winning full house, it will be for the whole pot.
• Your flush is not a favorite to win and thus is not worth protecting. (Your turn raise is unlikely to knock out a higher flush and won't knock out any nut low draws either).
• You don't have the low yet. Low may not be enabled by the river card.
• Even if low is enabled, you may end up getting quartered or sixthed.

Put that all together, and it spells "don't raise."

It's true that a turn raise could work out well for you if you knock out an opponent who would otherwise take away part of your pot. In that respect, if your flush was worth protecting, or if you already had low secured, I think a turn raise would be a better play.

It's also true that the flush could work out for you, but it won't more often than it will. I think that's generally true in a full game whenever you make less than the 2nd nut flush on the turn after two flush cards on the flop. Here you make the 4th nut flush on the turn. You do have lots of outs for low, roughly half the cards in the deck, but they're not scoop outs and there's really no way to promote them to scoop outs.

At any rate, I can see some merit in raising the turn, but you just don't have quite enough to raise... almost, but not quite.

Of course you call on the river.

Just my opinion.

Congratulations on holding your own in the live $10/20 game at Caesar's (mentioned in another recent post).

Buzz