View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: lexus is250 vs hoopty

[ QUOTE ]
Paying off a 40k car while 19 years old should do wonders for your credit, which could save you a good bit of money in the future. So while there is a general waste for buying this expensive of a car it's not all terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why has no one suggested the option of leasing it?

If it's all for "status" while you're in college, make a small downpayment on it, and who cares about the monthly payments? Throw it away after 3 years and hopefully by then you'll have grown up a little bit and realized that HOUSES are more important than EXPENSIVE cars.

I was like you when I was 17. I bought myself a brand new Civic Si (laugh now, but all of my friends drooled, and the girls loved it in college), dumped another 10K hooking it up, and my Junior year it was stolen (of course).

After that point, I realized that cars were a huge waste of money, picked up a GTi that I paid in full from my insurance money and haven't had a car payment for the past 3 years. (And don't plan on having one for another 5 at least).

Now, I've got a good job (and play cards PT) and am buying a brand new $500K house in the Seattle burbs. Believe me, a nice, new, HUGE house will get you much more status than some depreciating asset ever will (you'll think this way soon enough).