View Single Post
Old 09-29-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Thinking While Playing (LC)

Ahh... "How to clear your head" is a question whose origins come long before poker.

Really, it comes down to what works for you. So try a few things people suggest until you find a combination that allows you to give your full attention to poker and play your best game.

I've actually found that I've played under enough circumstances that it almost doesn't matter anymore. I like music, but I have won in silence. Sometimes I like stimulants; sometimes I like depressants. Sometimes I meditate beforehand; sometimes I'm chatting it up until (and after) the tournament starts. If I feel anxious during a tournament I will do push-ups during the 5-minute breaks. It's whatever keeps me in balance, really. Calm, clearheaded and using your best powers of observation, capabilities for strategic thought, and decision-making abilities.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have a specific procees they go through before they make a tough decision??

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you don't have much time online. I just recommend taking a deep breath and taking a quick mental review of the pot odds, action to this point, and what you know about the opponent. That's usually enough to at least get you a feel for what you should do.