View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Is the Universe 6 days old?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This dosen't make sense to me. Please clarify your argument if you're going to make one.

[/ QUOTE ] Actually I made one, but obviously not clearly enough. I'll do point form -
- If I say I'll pay you $1 for each time you run around the house and touch the front door, it's a 'position' related event, not a time related.
- The time you take to do it will vary, but the meaning of 'once around' doesn't.
- It makes no sense to talk about "seconds it takes to run around house" if over billions of years the length of time has changed enormously.
- It's especially difficult in the case of "Days" because of the "when was the 1st rotation" of earth problems. At one time, was it a small cluster of debris rotating at 10 times per second, or a gaseous spheroid slowly cooling and spinning at different speeds at different heights.
- 'how many seconds in a day' has no meaning if there is no reason to pick one specific moment in the earths history and treat that as the 'definitive' day.
- that's one reason we don't base our timing ( seconds/hours ) on portions of 'days'. Even in our short span here it's too inconsistant to be useful as a time measurement below a very kludgy level.
hope that's clearer, luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure where to start because I don't know specifically what aspect of the theory you are trying to refute.

Maybe you're just trying to say that a 'day' is a stupid thing to analyze because it can't be well defined. Schroeder however, has defined it, as a contemporary 24hr day, based on scriptural evidence.

The argument contends that there are many points in space (due to the expansion of the universe), where if the time period of six contemporary human days on earth pass, it would be perceived as ~15 billion years here. This dosen't claim that the earth has undergone 6x10^12 rotations or anything, just that 6x10^12 periods of time equivalent to a modern 'day' have passed.

I suppose it would be fair to pick the modern 'definitive day' as the length of the average day 3000 years or so ago. If you are confused by the changing length of daylight through the year, I believe most calculations involving the length of a day use either 24hrs, 1/365.25 * time for a year, or 1/365.24 * time for a year. These agree to within 4 minutes tho.

Ummm..... where else should we go with this?