View Single Post
Old 03-07-2004, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Party Poker SNG\'s

I told myself I wasn't going to post all month but I am bored and this post is just begging fo me to respond.

First, I read your post and didn't think much of it either way. Then I read the responses and kind of wondered why you were getting a bit flamed for posting a success story. We all do it now and then. It shows a lack of experience, especially when you make a statement like 'I was winning at the $5, so I thought I'd give $10 a try...' but still, I don't think it is worth picking on too much.

Then I read the thread immediately below yours - a thread about a player struggling to do more than break even at the $10 dollar level. Suddenly when I looked at these two threads so close together I had to ask myself why anyone would make your post. I give everybody the benefit of the doubt, and I assume you didn't read or consider that thread, but it seems tactless. This is especially true when that other thread is contributing in a meaningful way to this forum while yours is not.

So, I congratulate you, but I also have to caution you. You made the money in 75% of the tourneys that you played today and you won almost 40% of the time. That is good, but be realistic. Assuming you are a truly GREAT player you are still highly unlikely to make the money over 50% of the time in the long run and you are probably not going to take first more than 25% of the time. Let me stress again, this assumes that you are truly exceptional at the game of poker.

What this means, is that you have a day in store for you where you will make the money in 2/8 tourneys and neither of them will be wins. This will be a losing day. You will still be a winning player who makes the money 50% of the time and you will still have a good ROI, but that day is going to make your stats what they should be. And, on that day, you will still think the competition is stupid, but many of them will win with their style of play. That is why they play the way they do. It sometimes works, and when it does it will change your current attitude to one of disgust.

Interestingly though, you will still probably be a losing player at that point given the sample I have just mentioned. Why? Because after 16 tourneys you might not be making enough to compensate for the $66 you threw away at 30+3.

I guess all I am saying is this. Don't assume everyone is a moron just because you had a good day. If it always worked out that way there wouldn't be any morons left. In fact, sometimes the morons make the money 6/8 and win 3. I kid not. They are also famous for moving from $5 to $10 to $30 all in the same day.

Just some food for thought
Brad S