View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 09:45 PM

Default Re: PT stats questions

Unsurprisingly, I agree with Bluff, although from a slightly different perspective. I do use PT, although mostly because it allows me to multitable and review hands - "God I did play that one really bad".

So trying to build a style that conforms to some kind of "norm" is a hugely pointless exercise. Winning players can have VIPS from 25% to 55% and PFR from 4 to 15%.

The important key is how does your preflop style link to your flop play and onwards. If you ramp up the PFR, then you have to use more judgement on difficult situations and potentially gamble more, especially OOP. If you have a PFR that is smaller, then you have to be able to pass hands that *may* be winning, or that certainly would have been winning in a raised pot - AA or KK are good example here. Its all about what fits you best and in what way you can make effective decisions through the streets.

Some final points...

1.) Having said all this, the "average" winning style in the big games is 30-35%/8-15%. I have no idea if this would work in smaller games...certainly I doubt it is as good at 2-4 and 3-6 level.
2.) Below 30% is probably too tight.
3.) A classic ram jam, very tight preflop and blast every street holdem style is possibly the worst of all worlds.

gl

dd