View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Instincts against Weak Tight Player

Knee,

In internet multi-table tournaments, more than in money games, pre-flop instincts become essential to winning. Ranges just aren't enough sometime, you really have to dig. In this case, my opponent had just been sitting there for 10 minutes, waiting and waiting to make a move. You think, a weak tight player - what hands are floating in his head to move like that. What's he so afraid of? So, immediately, I have him down to 1010, AK, or AQ. Could he have AA to JJ - maybe, but from my experience, weak tight players are more excited than anything else to have JJ or QQ preflop when they are 10 XBB. More excited than having AK or AQ, because for some reason, they think that QQ or JJ is really that much better.

Then I started to pry - it's amazing what people on the internet will tell you if you just ask them in that little chat box. I just kept saying "yeah, I know what you have. I have a really good feeling." He said "Hmmm..." and I knew he had AK. Maybe I'm not "99%" sure, but I'm damn close.

Sorry, btw, if this thread is less advanced for most. I'll try to get a better flop to discuss soon enough.

A'