View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Bad sticky thread on folding KK preflop.

There is a locked sticky thread on whether it can be right to fold KK preflop. The thread proclaims an answer, that it can never be right to fold KK preflop in a SSNL game, with very poor justification. There is no way to respond on the thread, and no links to past discussions, some of which have been good. I expect better of 2+2.

[ QUOTE ]
For a total of 405 KK (that I got from PT) I have come up against AA only 9 (yes, NINE) times.

I think that finally kills off the "should I fold" threads.

[/ QUOTE ]
This does not show that you would be wrong to fold KK preflop. (It merely suggests that the player mainly plays 6-max games. You would expect almost 20 AA hands in full games.) The situations where you might consider folding KK preflop look very different from the typical hands in which you have KK.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Situation A: You feel you have a tight image at a full NL $100 table, and have the table covered. A nonmaniac who normally raises to $4 raises to $5 UTG. You reraise to $20. The UTG player pushes for $150 more.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Situation B: There is a limper in EP. You raise in MP. Everyone folds.

The typical hands where you have KK look like situation B. There were about 400 of those. There might have been 3 hands like situation A, and in all 3 of those, the player had AA. That your opponents didn't have AA in situation B tells you nothing about whether to fold KK in situation A. By the way, in the last 6 times I've looked up players in something resembling situation A at NL $100, the player had AA 5 times.

If you choose not to follow this reasoning, you may continue to crush the NL $25 games. However, you will be stunting the development of mental tools necessary for getting the most out of tougher games where fewer players hate money.

Please get rid of that locked sticky thread. I won't post any more in this forum while that nonsense is there.