Thread: A2JT hand
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: A2JT hand

[ QUOTE ]
if the turn is a four or three and you get one of hte limpers to call a bet and you assume you might get quartered, is it better off to just fold OR raise hoping to knock out the other nut low?

[/ QUOTE ]

Howzit - You're not realistically going to knock out another nut low by raising.

Case I. Holding A2TJ with 6683 on the board, you have virtually no chance to win high. However, you're looking good for low.

If nobody bets before the action gets to you, you should bet. However, if somebody ahead of you bets, I think you should just call. There's the double danger of getting counterfeited on the river or getting quartered for low.

Case II. But if we change the board a bit to J683, holding A2TJ you have the nut low plus a pair of jacks for high. In that case, if somebody ahead of you bets, you should raise. Your object is to promote your pair of jacks to a winner, possibly knocking out an opponent who would otherwise end up taking the high half of the pot.

See the difference? In case I you don't even have a pair for high. In case II a raise may induce two pair or a straight draw to fold leaving your pair of jacks as high and garnering you 3/4 of the pot if the opponent who bet happens to also have the nut low.

Buzz