View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Explain something to me regarding Juice....

You are not understanding what you were seeing. When you see an NFL team at -130 on the spread, the other team is going to be paying better than even money. The reason they would put up a -130/+110 (-130/+105, etc.) is because they are getting unbalanced action but do not want to move off of a "magic number".

In other words, in NFL betting, the magic numbers are so important that they need more flexibility in setting the line than just moving the spread. A move from 2.5 to 3.5 (same for 3.5 to 3, etc.) can be disastrous for a book. Instead, they change the "juice" (different meaning here than how you are using it, which is what is confusing you).

Here's a simple example. I am inventing these numbers out of whole cloth, just so you understand. Let's say the Jets open as -3 home favorites vs. the 49ers. The line might look like this:

Jets -3
49ers +3

and the -110 on both sides is understand. Now lets say that they books start taking more action on the Jets than the 49ers. Well, they don't want to move off of the 3, because that number is so important for NFL betting. So instead they change the line like this:

Jets -3 -120
49ers +3 +100

They are making it more attractive to be on the 49ers, in order to better balance the action. They are NOT charging more juice. -120/+100 is a dime line, just like -110/-110 is. Now some of these books get may get greedy and sneaky and do stuff like this:

Jets -3 -120
49ers +3 -110

This is higher a higher vig. The problem here is that there is another meaning associated with the word "juice" and this is what is confusing you. You are using "juice" to mean vigorish in your post, and so the answer is that the -130 does not represent a higher vig. -130/+110 is the same vig as -110/-110.

I hope that clears it up.

As some other posters pointed out, some books do offer nickel lines. In this case the line would look like

Jets -3 -120
49ers +3 +110

That's the same vig as -105/-105.

Ignore the fact that I said the Jets were the home team, but listed them on top. I don't feel like going back to edit the post.