View Single Post
Old 08-13-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Starting Poker at Different Stages of Life

Hank.....

I am an almost-51 year old woman.....now single, no kids....who started playing in February this year with $100 on Pacific. I took a four day weekend over President's day. I had done a lot of reading and study prior, had a good starting hands chart, so I played .25/.50. Made $125 that first 4-day weekend. Yeah....started with a bang!

As of now, I am playing 1/2. Tried it Memorial Day weekend and over the next few weeks dropped 125BB's and dropped back to .50/1.00 to work on my game and rebuild. Now giving it a shot again and having modest success.

What is interesting is how much I have made this year....$2400. There is $1000 in my bankroll, and I have cashed out $1400. I wanted to enjoy some fruits of my labors [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] and took out $500 last month to cover some car repairs. Hated that, [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img], but glad the money was there.

How did I do it? Bonuses.

In the beginning you won't have enough to successfully chase. Once you get the BR up to $200 you can take advantage of the Granny Mae Paradise bonus. Believe there is a link in the classifieds. Once the BR hits $500, there are a lot of places you can chase at. Research the forums here for advice, check out the Bonus Whores web site, and take advantage of what is out there.

Good luck to you!