View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Starting Poker at Different Stages of Life

Hey Hank,

I'm 31 with a wife and a 10 month old kiddo. I've been playing for around six years now.

I think your plan is a very good one. If you goal is to have a good time, then have a go at the micro-limits. You have a job, and poker should be fun. Poker is far from fun when you lose money you can't lose.

When I started playing, I was that post-college kid. I studied pretty hard and enjoyed playing and talking about the game. I could afford to dump a lot of time and money into it. And actually, I didn't have a choice. There was no such thing as a .10-.20 game six years ago. I think that it's vital to define what you want from the game. Playing for fun is a very different proposition than playing for money or competition or to get better at something.

At this point, I play for competition and the challenge of learning then I do for anything else. I can't get hung up on the money because poker really should have zero effect on my family's financial situation. Because of this I'm very strict about my bankroll.

In any case, it sounds like you are being very responsible.

Good luck to you,
Marlow