View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Another Way To Prove My Point about African Children.

[ QUOTE ]
...it might have some rather disturbing implications for what we term as 'morality' - as in, considering our willingness to accept the preventable deaths of African children, there's probably some conclusion to be made about the validity of Kantian moral imperatives or fidelity to the Ten Commandments, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not left field at all - I can see how that might be what he was going for. I chose in my response to take what he said at face value, and I took his opening and closing lines to be references to his intended topic.

Not that I believe in objective morality, but:

I don't agree with you (or did you mean him?) about the implications for our concepts of morality. He's talking about how people behave, and Kant's categorical imperative and the 10 Commandments are tools to be used for objectively distinguishing moral from immoral. What people actually do or think don't have any impact on the "validity" of those systems. Or, rather, it doesn't expose any flaws or contradictions. The rules are there - if people want to be selfish and ignore them, that's their choice.