View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Your favorite Rivalry to watch (past and current)?

In college football I've got to go with Oregon - Washington. I'm suffering from selective memory bias forgetting all the years Oregon got thoroughly whooped in the series but the 11 years since the Kenny Wheaton pick have been fun. I hate Washington, but this game has lost steam of late due to them sucking. I'm happy to see them go 2 - 9 or whatever but that takes a bit of the thrill away from beating them.

Oregon - Oregon State has also gotten better recently. We were on the winning side of dominating that but the last several in a row have gone to the home team. Should be good this year, can't wait.

Otherwise in college football I like Michigan - Ohio State as well as Miami - Florida State.

Pro football I always liked the Cowboys - 49ers matchups in the late 80s - early nineties. Would have liked a few more wins for the niners but they were good games.

In basketball I enjoyed Portland - Utah in the playoffs. Also very good series but ultimately dissapointing were all the Portland - LA series both in the late 80s - early 90s as well as the late 90s early 2000s.

In soccer I like Liverpool - Manchester United in England. For national teams England - Argentina always manages to be a good game. USA - Mexico is getting to be pretty good but there normally is little on the line as both tend to qualify. My two favorite rivalries in sports are Sevilla - Betis (see avatar) and Barcelona - Real Madrid. Real Madrid - Barcelona is like a more extreme version of the Yankees - Red Sox. Both teams with ridiculously overpaid players, Barça has a huge inferiority complex, and both are basically always at the top of the league. Sevilla - Betis is an unbelievably strong rivalry of two teams from the same city. Sevilla have had Betis' number of late, but last year was bad.

Can't wait for Saturday. Sevilla - Betis starts at 3 so it'll have to be recorded since the civil war starts at the same time. After hopefully watching Oregon kill OSU I'll be heading back to my parents to hopefully watch Sevilla kill Betis on tivo.