View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Any ESPN Insiders here? (Esfandiari chat)

Not comfortable swiping the whole thing, but here's the best stuff. (Antonio split halfway through, leaving the host to answer questions.)

Dave(Winchester, MA): What is the biggest mistake you see newer players make?
Antonio Esfandiari: Pay people off when they know they are beat. When you know you are beat, the best thing you can do is fold.

Mike (Shelton, CT): Whatsup Antonio- I have lost my poker bankroll twice, I really enjoy playing and do not want to quit... Should I read a certain book...have any tips???
Antonio Esfandiari: In order to be a successful poker player you have to go broke at some point in your career. Just read some good books and practice. But maybe poker isnt for you. A lot of people think they know how to play, but have no clue.

nick(port moody, BC): Hi Antonio, I just saw you on the poker of bad boys tourney the other day, can you explain to me the hand you got busted out on (pocket 7's), and what Gus Hanson was thinking making that call?? You think he put you on small pockets so he figured his two cards were live??
Antonio Esfandiari: At first I thought Gus Hansen was a donkey, but after looking at it it was a genious call. If I didnt have an overpair, he was getting the right odds to call. He put me on an underpair and the thing about poker is that you have to go with your gut. It was a genious call, even with 10 high.

Val (San Francisco, CA): How do you explain to other players the feeling that you get when you have middle pair and you know they are good enough to call a big raise? Every book you've read, the board, the odds, are all screaming to fold yet you still call and win. I've been fortunate enough to do this a few times and everytime I can't explain the call to other players. Is it a subconscious thing?
Antonio Esfandiari: If you know your hand is good you should go with your gut, what are you waiting for? If you make a pair and you think its good, hold on like a mofo.

Alan (Miami, FL): Antonio, which player/s do you think are the hardest to play in a no limit tournament?
Antonio Esfandiari: Players like Gus, Phil Ivey,and Barry Greenstein. They play every hand and when someone plays every hand its hard to play against them. Sometimes they have a hand and you lose a lot of money because you dont put them on a hand. When a guy doesnt play a hand for three hours and enters a pot you can throw away your hand because you are expecting a good hand. I like to be the aggressor and not play against over-aggressive players such as the three mentioned earlier.

Jay (New York, NY): I see you have a book coming out. What is it going to cover?
Antonio Esfandiari: Cash game no limit hold'em strategy. It should be a fun book to read with lots of crazy stories. Fun stuff.

Nathan D: What do you think of "LIVE@THEBIKE"? I seen you make your appearance the other night and was wondering what you thought of the concept of live webcast of cash games.
Antonio Esfandiari: It was actually pretty cool. Next time I Go back to LA I'll play and check it out again. I liked the concept a lot. Everyone promotes poker and a lot of people would say it gives away how you play, but you can set up your opponents by playing differently. I think it promotes poker very well.

Matt, Coral Springs: Hey Antonio - what are your feelings on playing once you are in the money to get to the final table. I find I make the money in large tournaments very frequently but dont make too many final tables. Any ideas?
Antonio Esfandiari: You should maybe take more risks and stop worrying about making more money. You need to accumulate more chips early to give yourself a better chance to win.