View Single Post
Old 12-23-2002, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Defending my $4-$8 Article

But I still think it is wrong to call a $4 raise in a game where you only limped in for $2 with a suited connector having only two opponents one of whom has position over you. Suppose you had only one opponent - the preflop raiser. Would you still call?

I think the decision whether to call with just the raiser and you depends very heavily on the quality of his play. There are $11 in the pot, and you are paying $4 to call. If he will play differently with an overpair and overcards... and he will lay down overcards on the river if he misses... then I could see calling the raise for several reasons:

1) You know roughly what his hand is, but he doesn't know what your hand is
2) He will pay off with just overcards when the size of the pot does not justify it
3) You can get away from your hand quickly if you are beaten
4) A medium suited connector is about the best hand possible headsup against a big pair

Another important point to make:

It is worth it to limp in (paying $4) in a 4-8 game to play medium suited connectors against several opponents when you don't expect a raise. Why would it not be worth it to call a raise (paying the same $4) in a 4-8 game against several opponents with the pot even slightly bigger preflop? With a hand like 76s, you don't expect to win with just a pair in either case... so it doesn't really matter that someone raised and displayed strength. If anything, you have more information before the flop while getting better immediate pot odds.

The question with two opponents is a little murkier... but it would be almost certainly correct to call from the big blind in a $2-$4 blind game. In the smaller blind case, your immediate pot odds are slightly worse... so it's not quite as clear. But in any event, the appropriate way to view calling the $4 raise is not "like calling a double raise back to you in a $2-$4 game" but rather, "calling one small bet ($4) back to you in a pot of size X."