Old 12-01-2005, 05:51 AM

Default Re: (6max nl100) bluff river?

[ QUOTE ]
preflop: fold
flop: given pfr, cb is ok...
turn: smooth call
river: check behind

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta agree that the turn is where it all went wrong. I really think that is a smooth call or raise big/push situation. By reraising small (and given action so far you must expect that bet to be called, right?) you've effectively killed all your chances of bluffing the river, not to mentioned you've paid way too much for your draw.

You could have called turn, being given 3.5:1 immediate odds on your draw, which is probably +EV given likely river action. Instead you put in $22, giving villain about 3:1 for his call, and leaving you with less than 2:1 on your $32 for your draw. Which is bad! Villain does not need much of a hand (which he didn't have either looking at results) to call this. Either call or bet more/push.

I'd definitely opt for the smooth call on the turn and see if you hit your draw. If you hit you'll likely get paid off at least a little more. If you don't hit, well it's bet or fold depending on your read (if he checks river, does he do this to induce a bet or because he's weak). With only $35 in the pot and around $70 behind, you have more options when it comes to bet size (its not push or check). A pot size bet might steal it ( as opposed to your turn bet), so I really like this line much better if you've "decided" to steal the pot.

I'm guessing a Q would most likely fold, but an A would likely call a PSB on the river given your own description of your play/image?