View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: $11- Standard plays?

[ QUOTE ]
I would prefer to fire out another bet on the turn instead of checking. With the river card, there are too many possibilities on the board that will beat you. The way you played it, I dont think the river bet is going to scare him very much, especially if he caught any piece of the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no. Villain's check on the river is the reason we can make the play for the pot. All action up until the turn is consistent with hearts or a jack. We'd be walking right into a trap a significant amount of time if we fired again on the turn.

And the river card is defnitely scary to a naked 9. Any queen or ten just got there. Hero could easily have a 10 in villain's eyes - "Let's see, he stabbed at the flop on a bluff, gave up on the turn, I'll check through this river and win with my bottom pai... oh no! He rivered me!"

And in all honesty, that flop bet screams weakness, and as you move up the better players will play back at you on occasion, but that min-bet wins the pot so often at the $11's that it's practically mandatory.