View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 04:32 AM

Default Re: I can\'t stand conversations that involve politics

[ QUOTE ]
As for the girl issue, I don't feel like people who seemingly are knowledgeable (although many times just regurgitate stuff they've heard from media sources) are necessarily smart. As someone mentioned, it's similar to discussing sports; I can name almost every player on the Bears but that doesn't entail any form of intelligence. So my conclusion for this would be that it shouldn't impress a girl and if it does, it'll be a minority of girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very observant and 100% correct IMO. Many a teenage girl will instinctively pick up on whether a dude's knowledge is useful or not, while a lot of 40+ dudes have no clue about what really matters, except maybe in the little microcosm they choose to operate in.

The sports analogy works nicely for me since I've been making my living betting on sports for 6 years now yet I can hardly name any players/coaches/owners etc. and usually seem rather clueless in any typical sports conversation. Dudes are constantly telling me what's really important and I just go uh-huh um-hmm and pretend I'm learning something (well actually I am learning more about what dumdums tend to bet on and what biases are likely to exist in the lines, so it helps me know what kind of things to bet AGAINST)