View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Difficult hand - all diamond flop, turned a set against the chipleader

i would fold pre-flop. there are too many people left to act behind you who might raise, including a limp-reraise from the big stack.

the flop is good. betting would be a mistake, as there are too many hands like K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] that will call you, and either of the two player besides the pfr could have missed their check-raise. check and hit the miracle 2-outer.

you have to raise the turn. there are too many weak hands that villain can be holding that include a diamond. you can't give a free card - your hand is too vulnerable. there are a lot of hands that will call you drawing dead (e.g., J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) and you can't pass up that value. you'll have a decision to make if villain reraises the turn with a large bet, but that's not going to happen that often.

on the river, that's a really tough spot to be in. i really don't see a lot of overbets like that, so i don't feel like i have a good sense of what it's likely to mean. but my inclination would be to fold.

[ QUOTE ]
A baby flush might make this play but certainly would have reraised on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i would reraise the turn with a small flush there (i also would have led into the pfr on the flop), but you can't assume that your opponent would, especially in a low buy-in game. it's an interesting hand.